Budgerigars are one of the most common and popular pets. Despite the fact that these clever little birds do not need careful care, you still need to adhere to some nuances of their content.
In the natural environment, budgerigars live among tree branches, which are used not only for sleep, but also as goodies. Natural twigs contain beneficial substances that help strengthen the feathered pet’s immune system and improve digestion.
However, not every tree is suitable for a budgie. Therefore, it is important to know what branches can be given to budgies.
The need for tree branches in the diet and everyday life of the budgerigar
As mentioned above, parrots living in their natural habitat are used to fluttering from branch to branch. Moreover, this need is associated not only with the warm-up of the wings.
Let’s start with the main thing – the budgie needs to nibble something all the time, grinding his beak, and tree branches are especially convenient for this, and even useful:
- they have sufficient hardness, providing an appropriate load on the beak;
- they contain most of the nutrients necessary for the full development and growth of the budgerigar;
- branches of a natural tree do not contain harmful substances that adversely affect the functioning of the bird’s body as a whole (for example, plastic poles can provoke a digestive tract malfunction in the budgerigar, and sometimes even death).
Tree branches are a natural product, and it is not possible to replace it with any other object that has an artificial base. Probably no one needs to be convinced of this.
Tree branches are also necessary for perches. A natural base is the best option for the paws of a bird, since the poles made of wood partly bring the conditions for keeping budgerigars in captivity to the natural ones.
They should have a wooden base, because it is most convenient and beneficial for the health of a feathered pet (this can be compared with the fact that natural shoes made of leather are the most comfortable and useful for humans).
The parrots also nibble. It is for this reason that they should have a natural basis, and not an artificial one.
Like most poultry, captive budgies need wooden twigs. It is advisable to independently harvest branches that will be used by budgies in food.
This is the only way to exclude the possibility of intestinal upset or digestive system disorders due to poor quality wood. Therefore, it is quite logical when the owners of budgerigars ask themselves the question – which tree branches are allowed in the everyday life of a feathered pet.
Twigs of trees that are allowed in the everyday use of the budgerigar
Despite the fact that in the natural habitat of these birds there is a mass of all kinds of trees and shrubs, not all of them are allowed in the everyday life of a budgerigar living in captivity.
So, the wavy can be given branches of such trees:
- Apple tree;
- mountain ash (tolerates with fruits);
- Cherry (without visible resin)
What branches are unacceptable in the use of a budgie?
Despite such an extensive list of permitted wooden poles or treats, there are also forbidden trees and shrubs that are strictly forbidden to give to their feathered pets.
What kind of trees are banned? First of all, they include those that have tannins in their composition: pear, oak, bird cherry.
It is extremely undesirable to give lilac branches pernatics, since the syringin in the kidneys and cortex is a natural glycoside, and in the organs of the bird turns into thin needles, which can lead both to serious illnesses of the pet and to its death.
Poplar branches are also not recommended to be given to a budgie, as they have an increased ability to absorb harmful substances.
The process of preparing twigs for parrots
To open the question in more detail, which branches of trees and shrubs can be given to parrots, it is also necessary to stipulate the conditions for obtaining useful branches.
In addition to the benefits that lie in the structure of the tree itself, the following nuances are important:
- It is extremely undesirable to introduce into the everyday life of a feathered pet tree branches and shrubs that are located near industrial enterprises, road cloths, sewage treatment plants and garbage dumps. To collect the branches, select a relatively environmentally friendly area: a summer cottage, forest planting, and a park zone.
- You can not give a parrot just collected twigs. They must undergo preliminary processing: cleaning from thorns, spines, moss, mold, etc.
- Before giving the bird the collected branches of trees, you can soak them in water. It is best to do this in the evening, and in the morning rinse them and pour over boiling water. It is forbidden to wash wooden rods using household cleaning products.
Workshop on making a wooden parrot perch
In order to make a perch from a branch, it is best to use fruit trees that were not exposed to poisonous substances and insecticides. We will need a garden pruner, a hacksaw with a small tooth, a tape measure and a knife.
Algorithm for making a perch from a wooden twig:
- We measure the cell, depending on how the perch will be attached (along or across the cell).
- Using a knife, cut a piece of twig of the desired length, adding another 8 mm to the resulting size.
- From both ends of the branches, we make a cross-shaped cut using a hacksaw.
- Set the resulting perch in a cage.
As for the diameter of the wooden perch. It largely depends on the type of bird, because their paws have different sizes. The twig should not be too large in diameter, because a feathered pet will not be able to sit on it normally, and too small for the claws of the bird to close normally. Wavy, lovebirds, Amadins, canaries – refer to small birds. For them, the diameter of the twig should fluctuate between 8-18 mm.
And in conclusion, I would like to remind you that the organism of budgies is very vulnerable and defenseless. It is better to be safe again, so as not to harm the health of the feathered pet.
Parrot diseases develop at a high speed and are difficult to treat. They are naive and in need of protection, and each owner of such a bird is responsible for it.
Surround your pets with care, attention and love, and they will certainly thank you with a good mood and positive emotions!