Parrots are one of the most beloved pets for bird lovers. They are bright, funny, able to cheer up and are capable of learning. A lot of species and subspecies are known to parrots, but they all have much in common.
To give a general description of how a parrot looks, you need to understand that some species differ enormously. For example, there are large birds (macaws) the size of a black grouse, and there are small birds, approximately the size of a sparrow. There are parrots with a long tail, more than the length of the body, there are with a short tail. However, almost all of them are bright, many of them are able to reproduce human speech. A characteristic feature of these birds is the beak. It is powerful, bent and resembles the beak of an owl or other predator. Also a significant difference from other birds is the parrot tongue. He is fat, fleshy and mobile.
A wavy parrot will decorate your life
Budgerigars can be monochromatic (blue, green, ash or blue), and the shade may vary. And also they can have a colorful plumage, which is painted in different colors quite unevenly.
If you have a pair of parrots, they may want to breed. To do this, they need to create good conditions, in other words, hang a nesting house. While the couple is waiting for replenishment, the male is especially attentive to the expectant mother. He will feed her, sort out feathers and even kiss. What does a pregnant parrot look like? Outwardly, there is not much difference. However, it is believed that the female, preparing for the laying, can become aggressive, will try to retire. An egg forms quickly, per day. Sometimes a slightly convex tummy is noticeable.
How to choose a healthy budgie
If you decide to get a parrot, then be sure to check whether the bird is healthy. What does a healthy parrot look like?
- A healthy bird is active, eats well. Try to give the parrot food, he should eat with pleasure.
- Feathers are smooth, he constantly cleans them. If the bird is disheveled, it may have a molt, or it may feel unwell.
- The legs of the parrot should be without plaque and obscure formations. If it is older – the scales are more pronounced, if younger – the skin is thin.
- The parrot should fly well.
- If you do not know what parrots look like in good health, pay attention to the beak. Its surface should be smooth and clean.
When you bring the bird home, you do not need to immediately pick it up, talk loudly with it. Let the parrot get used to its cage, to a new home and new people. And only after a while try to tame it a little and try to learn how to talk.
How to find out if a bird is sick
If the parrot is healthy and cheerful, the process of learning speech will be quick and effective. But sometimes the parrots get sick. It is important to pay attention to this in time and try to take action immediately. To suspect something was wrong, you need to know what a sick parrot looks like.
- Usually a parrot prefers to sit on one leg. If he sits on two for a long time – there is a possibility that the bird was sick.
- A tousled look, trembling is also a sign of illness. These birds try to hide their condition from the owner and will tend to take a normal look when you approach the cage.
- For no reason, a parrot can begin to pull feathers on itself. So often sick parrots behave. What do feathers look like in an unhealthy parrot? Usually its color fades a little.
- Litter may be liquid.
- A bird may lose coordination and fly into a glass or wall.
Each such sign is eloquent and can be a serious cause for concern. However, not all diseases of birds are dangerous, the bird can feel a short-term malaise, which will not become a serious problem.