But how to make a toy for a parrot with your own hands? Ideas and methods we will consider in this article. But if you don’t like anything proposed, you’ll definitely come up with something yourself.
What toys do you need a parrot
Making toys for a parrot with your own hands is quite simple. For the manufacture of the most unpretentious materials. Most of them you will easily find at home. Since parrots are not only very funny, but also quite smart birds, then the toys for them should be varied. It is worth paying attention to:
- Developing. They will help your pet to realize their abilities.
- "Pogushki". These birds have a rather strong and sharp beak, which they constantly scratch about something. It will be an interesting toy or cupboard – you decide.
- Simulators. Parrots, devoid of physical exercise, quickly grow fat and begin to hurt.
- Motivating. These birds are very curious. It is imperative that they be given the opportunity to untie, spin, pull an item out of the trap, and so on.
How to teach a bird to games
Sometimes it’s not enough to make a DIY toy for a parrot. Despite their curiosity, many birds are rather timid, and they need to be trained in games. How to do it?
- A bird should be introduced to a new toy gradually so as not to frighten or cause its displeasure.
- If the bird made an attempt to approach a new fun, encourage it: praise and treat something tasty.
- Show how to play by your own example, parrots are great imitators.
- Observe your pet, study his character. This will help to understand what kind of toys he likes.
We use natural materials
DIY toys for budgies can be easily made from everything that grows in the area. Natural components are the most environmentally friendly and safe material.
First of all, pay attention to conifer cones. Your pet will really like them. The cone can be nibbled, disassembled into "spare parts" and simply driven around the cage. To make it more convenient for a parrot, you can not just put a lump on the bottom of the cage, but fix it on the side wall or use a wire to hang it under the ceiling. If you are letting out a parrot for a walk, collect a garland of cones and hang it somewhere in the form of a swing. Believe me, your feathered friend will appreciate it.
As a material for the next toy, ordinary branches of fruit trees are suitable. Gather a small bundle from them and place it on the wall of the cage. The parrot will be happy to nibble them and swarm in the "broom". Such a bundle will not only be a toy – with its help the bird will clean and sharpen its beak.
Toys with a Mirror
Making toys for a parrot with your own hands is not at all difficult. You just need to understand what exactly the bird likes. For example, all parrots like to look at themselves in the mirror and talk with their reflection. By the way, if you have a couple of parrots living, it is better to refuse such a toy.
Take a small mirror, for example, from a female powder box, and fix it on the wall of the cage. At the edges of the mirror or right next to it, tie the following structure:
- take a thin but strong wire and several beads and buttons of different diameters;
- the entire "small things" should be strung on a wire and bent the tips carefully so that the bird does not get hurt.
Instead of buttons and beads, you can take a small chain with small links. At several links, thread toothpicks with broken ends, and tie a small bell to the end of the chain.
Making toys for a parrot with your own hands is best with your children. If you have already mastered the previous option, you can try to make a beautiful swing. It is very simple.
- beads and buttons;
- small stick-perch of suitable diameter.
If you could not find the wand, you can use a ballpoint pen without a cap and paste.
Measure the wire to make a triangle. Its height should be such that a parrot is freely placed there and there is still a little more to make a loop. At the base of the triangle, place the spare part from the handle or fasten the stick – here the bird will sit. String multicolored beads, buttons and other “beauty” on the side parts. Swinging on a new swing, the bird will be happy to fumble with tsatski’s beak. Now connect the side parts in a triangle. Attach a bell or a large bright bead at the junction. Build a loop from the remaining free ends – in this place the swing will be attached to the ceiling of the cage.
Parrots are also children
It’s very easy to make toys for a Corella parrot. Do it yourself is not only simple, but also interesting. If you have small children in your house or toys from older offspring are left, then manufacturing will not take you much time and effort. Since the Corella is larger than its wavy counterpart, then the toys for it should be more massive.
An ordinary baby rattle is perfect. The sound made by her will attract the pet, and the bright colors will delight and amuse. If you attach bells and a mirror to the rattle, it will become a favorite pastime of your parrot.
If you don’t have a rattle, try making it yourself. To do this, take a container from the "Kinder Surprise" or another tightly closed box. Fill small holes with an awl over the entire surface, and pour beads, small beads, peas or corn inside. Hang the structure in a place convenient for the bird. The parrot will really enjoy such fun. He will try his best to get the contents through the holes.
You can also arrange small garlands. Fasten small chains or shoelaces to the cage ceiling with carabiners. On each of them string small wooden cubes, a shuttlecock from badminton, large beads. You can impose several gizmos at once – it will be even more interesting.
A teether for children’s teeth can be an excellent toy for a corrella. It has a heterogeneous surface, and birds gladly stomp on it, flexing its paws. The teether can be decorated with traditional ropes, beads, bells and buttons. It will be interesting!
It’s not enough to know how to make a toy for a parrot with your own hands. You also need to understand what and how not to do, so as not to harm your pet.
There are several rules:
- all openings should be of such a diameter that the beak of the pet does not get stuck there, and best of all does not fit in;
- you can not use painted parts – the less paint the parrot eats during the game, the better;
- do not buy or make toys from fragile materials, because the bird can nibble and swallow a piece;
- metal components should not contain copper, zinc, brass and other toxic materials;
- do not use cotton ropes – when shredded, they turn into particles that can clog the stomach of a parrot;
- use only fruit tree branches – all others can be poisonous to these birds.