Owners of outlandish parrots are often interested in their features: living in everyday life, food, and possible difficulties. In particular, breeders are concerned about how many macaw parrots live. The life expectancy of these exotic birds is affected not only by various diseases, but also by the level of care of the owner. We will talk about the longevity of wild and domesticated macaws, the causes of early death, and also get acquainted with the centenarians among the representatives of the genus.
How many macaw parrots live in their native environment
Professional naturalists have speculated that large parrots are free to live longer than humans. Natural instinct helps protect oneself from dangers. To survive, a parrot needs caution, as well as luck and luck.
What can a free macaw die from earlier?
- viral epidemics;
- drought and crop failure;
- loss of habitat due to the development of territories;
- drainage of water bodies;
- injuries caused by predators;
- Forest fires;
It is impossible to answer with certainty the question of how many years the macaw parrots live on the loose. Ornithologists, observing wild birds, selectively catch them, ring and release them. Long-term tracking of individual individuals is the only chance to determine the age of the parrot in nature. At the moment, it is known that the life span of various representatives of the macaw genus is from 30 to 40 years.
Life expectancy next to a person
Decorative birds for breeding and keeping in everyday life are no longer taken from nature. This is especially true of rare species, which include macaw. The vast majority of exotic birds hatched in nurseries. Such birds do not have strong instincts, they will never adapt to wild conditions. Nobody teaches them to survive and avoid dangers.
You can only make assumptions about the life expectancy of a macaw, based on information from open sources: published articles by ornithologists, observations of breeders, and discussions on thematic forums. Each particular bird may die of old age, and may die in the prime of life for various reasons. But as a rule, the life span of a macaw at home reaches four decades, although there were also those who lived next to a person for more than half a century.
Life expectancy criteria
For a home macaw to live as long as possible, it needs comfort. The combination of the individual characteristics of the bird with appropriate care and care is the basis of longevity.
Environment and other parameters that determine the life expectancy of a macaw parrot:
- Genetics. Bad heredity is one of the reasons why a bird does not live long. This is possible if the breeder allows for crossbreeding or other breeding errors. The offspring is obtained by patients with weak immunity and lack of love of life. These chicks are often sad, prone to disease.
- Activity. To maintain good health, the parrot needs to move a lot: play, fly, engage in bird-like “physical education”. To prevent obesity, depression and self-pinching, the bird needs to walk around the apartment daily. During exercise you can’t leave ara alone, without supervision. It is best to use this watch for communication and training.
- Microclimate. Indicators such as temperature, humidity, lighting, need to be maintained within the permissible norm. Ara’s lifespan may be reduced if the air parameters are not suitable for him. 20 – 25 degrees Celsius, 50 – 60% relative humidity, 14 hours of light day, air purity – these are all conditions for a healthy lifestyle. In addition, you need to monitor compliance with the regime of day and night, ventilate the room and avoid drafts.
- Nutrition. A balanced diet consisting of dry mixes, succulent feed and animal protein. When kept in captivity, the macaw, like other parrots, needs high-quality and varied food. Under the ban food prepared for people: fried, smoked, salty and spicy. Dishes from the general table to offer a parrot are simply unacceptable, otherwise you can harm the pet and shorten its life expectancy.
- Cell. Big bird and lodging is required spacious. Macaw reaches a size of 80 – 100 cm, so it is best to equip an aviary for it. Near the monastery of a feathered pet there should not be noisy household appliances that adversely affect health.
Talking birds such as macaws need to communicate a lot. With solitary confinement, much time should be devoted to the bird, otherwise it will wither from melancholy. A busy or taciturn owner, not wanting it himself, shortens the bird’s age.
Causes of premature death
In nature, a parrot faces many dangers, and it does not always depend on it whether the macaw will survive or die. But in captivity, the responsibility for the life of the ward lies entirely with the owner. Not everyone copes with the burden of worries, but more often out of inexperience make irreparable mistakes.
Why does a domestic parrot die prematurely? Here are the most common causes:
- dangerous diseases (ornithosis, salmonellosis, endocrine disorders);
- inhalation of toxic fumes (non-stick coating, aerosols, tobacco);
- poisoning (household chemicals, indoor flowers);
- burns from a hot stove or open flame;
- choking after swallowing a small item;
- electric shock (through a bitten wire);
- stress (cat or dog attack);
- severe injuries of the beak, limbs, wings;
- poor care, unsanitary conditions;
- crash out the window.
The list goes on for a long time. It would seem that the bird is in the apartment, as if behind a stone wall. But, as in nature, at home the main enemy of the parrot is again a man. Most often, it is the owner who inadvertently becomes an executioner for his pet.
About centenarians among ar
Natural scientists, tracking statistics, identified centenarians among tamed macaws in several corners of the world:
- the first line is occupied by the green-winged macaw from the Whipsneyd English Reserve – he lived 50 years;
- Small Soldier Macaw from London – 46 years old;
- the blue-and-yellow macaw from the Copenhagen Zoo delighted visitors for 43 years;
- hyacinth macaw from Austria, lived in the zoo for 38 years.